We have all experienced bad breath, or ‚Äòhalitosis‚Äô, as soon as we wake up in the morning or after eating certain types of food. When bacteria break down food particles and protein at a higher rate than normal, sulphur compounds mount up causing bad breath. It is no surprise that bad breath can be embarrassing and a real mood killer in certain situations, and sometimes it all comes down to something so simple ‚Äì your oral hygiene.
Here are five tips to follow to freshen your breath:
- Brush and floss properly: Take your time when brushing your teeth. Your oral hygiene is one thing that shouldn‚Äôt be rushed. Without proper cleaning, food particles can get stuck between your teeth and under the gums, and leaving them there for an entire day causes germs to spread and your bad breath to get worst. If you‚Äôre in a hurry for work, opt to bringing along your toothbrush and toothpaste and brush when you can!
- Clean your tongue: Many people forget to include cleaning their tongue when it comes to their daily oral hygiene routine. Your teeth may be clean, but bacteria can build up under the tongue too. So use a brush, tongue scraper or a spoon to clean the germs on your tongue.
- Drink water: Your saliva helps counteract the harmful acids in your mouth, meaning a dry mouth encourages oral bacteria to form. Keep hydrated and drink lots of water throughout the day, and where possible skip the caffeine as it inhibits saliva production.
- Eat fresh breath foods: Apples, nuts, berries, cheese, parsley. Do your research and cut out any foods that contribute to bad breath, and replace them with the ones that freshen it up!
- Regular dental check-ups: This is the key to keeping your oral hygiene intact. Sometimes bad breath may be due to underlying problems such as tooth decay, and visiting your dentist for regular check-ups allows for your mouth to be evaluated, problems treated ‚Äì and best of all, your teeth thoroughly cleaned.
If you‚Äôve banished your bad breath with these five simple steps, but can‚Äôt seem to get rid of those difficult teeth stains, visit your dentist for a check-up and professional cleaning. With 30 years of dental experience, Dr Levi specialises in professional teeth whitening and can help you see results for that perfect white smile. For more on teeth whitening experiences or more information on how we can find the perfect procedure for you head over to our website OR contact The Smile Shop on (02) 9283 1900.